Transformative Philanthropy Resources
The following is a list of articles, blog posts, organizations and guides that demonstrate the emergence of a new mindset and practice across philanthropy. It has a particular focus on social equity, racial justice, and building networks/movement alignment as three core areas progressive philanthropy is exploring–and where it must increasingly devote attention to create impact.
Articles and Blog Posts
- A New Gospel of Philanthropy. Leah Hunt-Hendrix and Jee Kim. (via Medium) July 2016.
- Breaking Free From The Tribe: Why Philanthropy Needs To Invest in Bridge Builders Lisa Witter. Stanford Social Innovation Review. December 2015
- Building a Foundation for the 21st Century, Part 1 – On Full Philanthropic Engagement. Clara Miller. Nonprofit Quarterly. June 2016.
- Building a Foundation for the 21st Century, Part 2 – Opening the Terrarium. Clara Miller. Nonprofit Quarterly. June 2016.
- Enough. Grant Oliphant (Heinz Endowment). Center for Effective Philanthropy blog. July 2016.
- Equity’s Role in Philanthropy. Grantmakers for Effective Organizations. 2016.
- Focus on Building Strong Organizations. Hillary Pennington. Stanford Social Innovation Review. Summer 2016.
- The Future of Philanthropy. The Nation. July 2016.
- How Investing In Networks Grows Impact
- Madeline Taylor. Stanford Social Innovation Review. May 2015.
- Philanthropy and Equity: Pushing from the Inside is Slow Going. Ruth McCambridge. Nonprofit Quarterly. April 2016.
- #PhilanthropySoWhite? It’s Time for a Change. Camila Guiza-Chavez. Greenlining Institute. July 2016.
- What Is A Restorative Philanthropy? Pia Infante. The Whitman Institute. July 2016.
- What We Learned After A Decade of Climate Funding and What We’re Doing Instead
- Farhad Ebrahimi, Chorus Foundation (via Medium.com), November 2015
- Center for Effective Philanthropy.
- Grantmakers for Effective Organizations (GEO)
- Philanthropic Initiative for Racial Equity.
Guides and Compilations
- Building Collaboration from the Inside Out. Lori Bartczak. Grantmakers for Effective Organizations. 2015.
- Catalyzing Networks for Social Change: A Funder’s Guide. Grantmakers for Effective Organizations and Monitor Institute. 2011.
- The Development Set. (a series of articles re: philanthropy and social impact on Medium)
- ENGAGE: How Funders Can Leverage Networks for Social Impact. Rockefeller Foundation and Monitor Institute/Deloitte. 2015.
- Grantmaking with a Racial Equity Lens. MacKinnon, Quiroz-Martinez, Villarosa. Grantcraft/Philanthropic Initiative on Racial Equity. 2007.
- Systems Grantmaking Resource Guide. Grantmakers for Effective Organizations and Management Assistance Group. March 2016.